I have realized that I have no idea where to start! From my experience in watching horror movies, the budget is typically high for the use of special effects and a proper set. Which is exactly what I am lacking! Therefore, my journey to find resources began. I decided to search the internet for inspiration on how exactly to even begin the process of filming a horror movie, let alone one that breaks from conventional standards. I watched this video on low budget films focused more specifically on apocalyptic worlds. Although my film does not center around zombies, or a robotic future, it is still dystopian nonetheless. While watching the creator of the short film, 'The Manual', he noted how he drew inspiration and how he organized a variety of elements from not only other films, but art, design and photography and implemented these aspects to create his own vision. He had created many mood boards from a variety of art to conjure up his vision for what he wanted his film to look like. This idea seemed extremely beneficial to his creation and I decided to try this out myself!




These images have created the basis for what I hope to portray within my film opening. The location and setting of a small shed or an abandoned home points towards the dystopian society of which I am attempting to convey. The small location and abandoned status adds to the fearful components of the unknown and the isolation of what society now looks like for the minorities in the future. The basis for my plot is a future society that has experienced the hardships of racism to such an extreme where it has now become legal to kill people of color. The "all clear" did not come over night, it began with small acts of segregation and deportations of even documented individuals, it later progressed into something much worse, a genocide of which only the few survived. They did not get to any and every person of color, there were still many on the run and there were people ready to find and hunt them down. This gives into the group who has come together from a background of different races/ethnicities and they are on the run and consistently hiding from those who are attempting to kill them one by one. The most fearful element is that these individuals are unarmed and never know when someone will discover their hiding spots, or where exactly they can "jump out" and strike. This being said I am in no way creating a thriller or action filled movie, I want to capture the fear of those in hiding and the consistent "unknown" of their fate. The goal is to keep the audience on the edge of their seats, rooting for this small group of differing races, and fearing for them just as much as they are fearing for themselves. The other images I have included in this mood board, are certain shots of which I hope to include in my opening, two of which are point of view shots, to give the audience perspective into both "sides" of the film. The other depicts a woman hiding with a long shot view of what exactly she is hiding from,  I hope to include a similar shot in my film opening in a different setting, as it adds even more room for suspense. This mood board definitely helped me create the vision I was looking to create.


10 great forest horror films. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/news-          bfi/lists/10-great-forest-horror-films

ChaseMediaProductions. (2017, April 30). ChaseMediaProductions. Retrieved from http://chasemediaproductions.blogspot.com/2017/04/camera-shotsmovemetframing-used-
in.html

Opinions on Point of view shot. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.writeopinions.com/point-of-view-shot

Riot, F. (2017, December 07). Low-Budget Filmmaking: Creating an Apocalyptic World. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95LGDKfvv-4

Spelling Reform Stock Video Footage - 4K and HD Video Clips. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.shutterstock.com/video/search/spelling-reform


Comments

Popular posts from this blog