Production Design!!!! Ok so,  I'm really excited about creating my film, but deep down I know that this is the most time consuming part of my entire process and one that requires the most planning. Yet here I am attempting to create an entire dystopian society on little to no budget for this film opening. I am hoping that my characters can do the majority of the work when it comes to depicting the conflict and the clear difference from contemporary society and the future in which chaos is commonplace. To expand on the idea that I have previously mentioned in my last blog posting, the zooming in on a news report through a T.V and show the perspective of what is happening on screen in front of the man. This same ideology for horror movies has been presented before. Through my research on how to properly execute this with tying in plot and establishing context, I came across a horror movie by the name of Hereditary (2018). This movie implements the same concepts of which my peer offered during our group discussion. The opening of the movie consists of a continuous shot moving from a room containing a dollhouse, into that dollhouse, which in turn becomes the house the characters live in. This is exactly what I would like my film opening to consist of, only instead of dolls, there would be a real life news report depicting the events that are occurring in real time from a variety of perspectives. I also believe that it is essential to capture all points of view in my film opening in order to create the feeling of empathy for those being chased, and show the underlying hate of those attempting to catch the 4 girls.
     My main concern is mainly keeping the film opening as "dystopian" as it can get as I wish for a consistent theme to be present. Any influence of contemporary life such as outfits or reference has to be excluded as I'm hoping to convey that the characters are from one set "society" that has had influences from the past, yet is still clearly a future gone wrong. Since I am filming the majority of my opening scenes in a forest and desolate area I am hoping that the natural location will be all encompassing and not appear to be from present day society. I am currently on the search for buying a small radio, walkie talkies, as well as a small tv screen in order to add to the idea that these 4 girls are on the run and need to communicate with one another. I hope to design the shed/campgrounds with items crucial for survival. These objects will only serve to push the general idea that these 4 girls are on the run and are attempting to save one another in a distraught future where if you are not light enough, your execution is near. Not only is the surrounding environment important to creating a consistent theme in terms of production design, but costume design is also super important!! I am hoping for each characters outfit to be worn down as if they have had no means of acquiring any new clothes. Small and minute details such as these are important in creating the atmosphere for my film opening and creating a strong lead in to the rest of the storyline. So yes!! as soon as I acquire these items expect pictures coming soon of costume and props!

The Power Of Set Design In Horror. (2018, August 03). Retrieved from https://www.raindance.org/the-power-of-set-design-in-horror/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog